Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Do Corporations Have Rights?

The Pragmatic Liberal find it sad that often, so-called "corporate rights" take precedent over the well being of the people of this country. From the RIAA claiming that it has a continued right to obscene profits using an obsolete business model simply because it has successfully profited in the past to big pharma convincing The Congress to scuttle any legislation that might help people bring affordable perscription drugs into the country from other western nations; it seems that ever since I can remember the corporation has been the important focus in our nations debate. This obession with the health of our corporate "citizens" has brought us back to the bad old days of the robber barons.

It was recently reported that more than 19% of this country's wealth is tied up in the hands of less than 1% of the population while the bottom 20% of us eke out a living on 3.4% of the bounty of our economy. This imbalance is greater than at any time since the Stock Market crash in 1929 that heralded the Great Depression. I am hoping that the rising tide of Populism can force our elected representatives to realize that their fortunes lie not with big monied interests but with the "common folk" who actually work to produce the abundant wealth of this country.

Living in a "former" industrial state, I will say that the economic "recovery" that the White House and the pundits go on about has not materialized for a great number of people in the United States. As the stock market grows at unprecedented levels wages hardly keep up with inflation. We are talking about maybe a 3% annual growth in the Pragmatic Liberal's income each year - which is pretty stagnant by any measure. And I consider myself one of the lucky ones. the Pragmatic Liberal has a great job that pays enough to maintain a home. The it's lucky that he chose not to reproduce because a college fund would be a tough thing to finance.

The only weapon we have is the ballot. I'm getting ready for 2008. I will support candidates with a true progressive, populist agenda. I won't let myself be blinded by single issue appeals or slick attack ads. I will get of my complacent ass and volunteer for candidates I believe in and work to get them elected. Maybe - just maybe - if enough of us do this, the current atmosphere of corporate rights will fade to one where the needs of the population dominate.

2 comments:

Not Important said...

I heard in a class that corporations can designate a detainee when someone has to do jail time for the corporation's crimes. Nifty.

M&M said...

What a GREAT idea. Now if only individuals could do the same. I could commit a crime and name a worthless politician to spend my time in the hoosgow (sp?).

I know, I know.... modifying "politician" with "worthless" doesn't narrow the options much. But I'm sure if you think about it REAL HARD you'll think of someone I'd like to put in prison.